OKLAHOMA AERONAUTICS COMMISSION MEETING
WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2021, AT 10 AM
Oklahoma Department of Transportation
First Floor Commission room
200 NE 21ST STREET, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
And By VIDEOCONFERENCE/Teleconference at
- Announcement of COMPLIANCE WITH THE OPEN MEETING AcT, filing of meeting notice, and posting of the agenda — Chairman Jim Putnam, Chris Wadsworth, Chief of Staff
Pursuant to the Oklahoma Open Meeting Act, this meeting shall be held at the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) First Floor Conference Room, 200 NE 21st Street in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and by videoconference and teleconference as authorized by SB1031. The in-person meeting space for commissioners at ODOT will follow CDC guidelines to maintain a safe environment in light of COVID-19.
Members of the public and guests are encouraged to attend virtually by way of the following:
View Online via Zoom: https://odot.zoom.us/j/81182271856
View Online via Ustream: https://video.ibm.com/channel/CKEfwftDGHz
Phone: +1-408-638-0968, meeting number 811 8227 1856
The public may access the Meeting agenda and materials relied upon by the Commissioners at: www.oac.ok.gov
The public access will be monitored to ensure that if the audio connection of a Commissioner attending virtually is lost or interrupted resulting in the loss of a quorum, the Meeting will be stopped and not resumed until an audio connection is restored. In such a circumstance, if the audio connection is not restored within thirty (30) minutes, the Meeting will be adjourned and shall be reconvened at 1:30 pm on May 12, 2021. If an audio connection cannot be restored at that time, the Meeting shall be reconvened on May 13, 2021 at 10:00 am. If the audio connection is not restored at this time within 30 minutes, there will be another attempt to reconvene the meeting at 1:30 pm, on May 13, 2021. This pattern will repeat until an audio connection is restored. This Meeting shall be electronically recorded.
- CALL TO ORDER AND RECORDING OF MEMBERS PRESENT AND ABSENT — Chairman Jim Putnam and Andrea Post, Executive Assistant to Director Ardies
- APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AERONAUTICS COMMISSION MEETING ON March 10, 2021 — Chairman Jim Putnam and Andrea Post
- DIRECTOR’S REPORT— Director Ardies
- Bristow CTS Groundbreaking – March 12
- Site Visit to Shawnee Regional Airport – March 19
- Oklahoma City Innovation District Annual Symposium Panel “Regulatory and Policy Issues Related to Autonomous Systems Technologies” – March 25
- Legislative Visit to the Capitol with members of OAOA – March 30
- Oklahoma History Center New Aviation Exhibit – April 1
- Tour of Tulsa International Airport and Will Rogers World Airport with Senator Inhofe’s Staff – April 5 and 8
- Engineers Flying Club – April 6
- South Central Chapter of the American Association of Airport Executives Conference, “What is the State of our State Aviation Office?”– April 19
- Missouri State Chamber Workforce2030 Conference, “Engineer Tax Credits for Aerospace” - April 21
- MRO Americas Conference in Orlando, Florida – April 27-29
- OU Aviation Advisory Board Meeting – April 30
- AUVSI XPONENTIAL Virtual – May 4-6
- Aero Caucus Luncheon – May 11
- State Chamber Sine Die Celebration – May 11
- Oklahoma Aiport Operators Association Conference – Director Ardies and Nick Young, Aviation Program Manager
The Commission will be briefed on the Oklahoma Airport Operators Association’s annual conference that was held virtually, April 6-8, 2021.
- South Grand Lake Regional Airport Runway Celebration – Director Ardies
The Commission will be briefed on the South Grand Lake Regional Airport Runway Celebration, April 9, 2021.
- LEGISLATIVE, CONGRESSIONAL AND REGULATORY UPDATE — Director Ardies and Sandra Shelton, Communications and Government Affairs Coordinator
The Commission will be briefed on legislation and public policy issues concerning airports, aviation, and aerospace, and Commission legislative initiatives for the 2021 Legislative session.
- 2021 Legislative Session
- Engineer Tax Credits Clean Up Language (SB 893)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems Development Act (SB 659, HB 2174)
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation Bidding System (HB 1376)
- Other Aerospace/Aviation Legislation
- Congressional Update
- 2021 Legislative Session
- FINANCIAL REPORT — Chris Wadsworth, Chief of Staff
The Commission will be briefed on current budget figures for FY2021.
- aviaton and aerospace education update – Director Ardies and Paula Kedy, Aerospace and Aviation Education Coordinator
The Commission will be briefed on the following:
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Program update and site visits
- Meeting with State Department of Education about AOPA Curriculum
- Okemah Aviation and Aerospace Briefing with Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission (OAC), Aerospace Commerce Economic Services (ACES), Senator Roger Thompson, Senator Paul Rosino, CareerTech, and local educational officials
- Aerospace and Aviation Education Grant Program
- AVIATION ART CONTEST — Sandra Shelton
Commissioners will be briefed on the 2021 State Aviation Art Contest. This year’s contest theme was “A Friendlier World with Air Sports.”
11. PARTNERSHIP/SPONSORSHIP WITH THE OKLAHOMA DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE FOR THE EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH – Director Ardies
2021 EAA AirVenture Airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, is scheduled for July 26 – August 1, 2021. The funding request is for up to $4,000.
- PARTNERSHIP/SPONSORSHIP WITH THE OKLAHOMA DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE FOR The Tinker & the Primes – Director Ardies
2021 Tinker & the Primes event is scheduled for August 10-12, 2021 at the Reed Conference Center in Midwest City. The purpose of Tinker and the Primes is for Tinker Air Force Base to share current and future requirements with Oklahoma aerospace and defense companies that want to do business with Tinker. The full cost of the booth is $4,000 and will be split equally among all partners/sponsors. The funding request is for up to $1,000.
13. FAA Flight Inspection Services Agreement – Director Ardies
The Commission will consider authorizing Director Ardies to renew an agreement between the FAA and the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission for flight inspection services of navigational aids. These flight inspections are required to activate lighting equipment such as ODALS, VGSI, REILs, etc. The agreement will be for $50,000 and is a continuation of the current agreement.
14. System Plan Update – Nick Young
The Commission will be briefed on the status of the Oklahoma Airport System Plan project.
15. FIVE-YEAR AIRPORT CONSTRUCTION PROGRAM — Nick Young
The Commission will consider approving the FY2022 - FY2026 Airport Construction Program (ACP).
16. AIRPORT CONSTRUCTION GRANT PROGRAM – Ben Naghavi, Airport Engineer
The Commission will consider approving a state grant for a project that is currently identified in the Commission’s approved Airport Construction Program at McCurtain County Regional Airport (Idabel). The project consists of installing an Omnidirectional Approach Lighting System (ODALS). Based on bids, the total project cost is $513,717.09 and will be funded with $488,031 of state grant funds and $25,686.09 of sponsor matching funds. An approval is contingent upon the Commission receiving an acceptable grant application.
17. Various Locations GRANT – Ben Naghavi
The Commission will consider approving to allow staff to move forward in accordance with Title 3, Section 85 of Oklahoma State Statutes and act as an agent for the following cities’ airports for the development of Preliminary Engineering Reports (PER) and accepting a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grant offer. The estimated cost of the project is $330,965 and will be funded with $330,965 of federal grant funds.
- PER - Fairview Municipal Airport
- PER - Guthrie-Edmond Regional Airport
- PER - Miami Municipal Airport
- PER - Pauls Valley Municipal Airport
18. REVIEW OF UPCOMING AVIATION AND AEROSPACE EVENTS — Sandra Shelton
The Commission will be briefed on upcoming events around the state.
19. CONCLUDING REMARKS REGARDING AGENDA ITEMS — Director Ardies and Commissioners
20. ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEXT MEETING — Chairman Jim Putnam
The Commission will announce the date, time and place for the next Commission meeting.
This public notice/agenda was posted on the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission website on May 11, 2021 at 10:00 am and emailed to those requesting it in compliance with the Oklahoma Open Meeting Act.
Chief of Staff