Each year the Air and Space Forces Association honors the outstanding achievements of men and women throughout the United States Air Force, government, academia and the aerospace industry. The Association presents the awards at local AFA chapter and regional forums.
Nominations for AFA national aerospace awards are solicited from the United States Air Force, members and leaders of AFA, the aerospace industry, and U.S. citizens or organizations which have a deep interest in aerospace activities.
At its annual awards breakfast on Monday, June 6, the Air and Space Forces Association Gerrity Chapter recognized Sandra Shelton as the chapter’s 2022 Member of the Year. Shelton serves in a volunteer capacity as the organizations Vice President of Community Partners.
Shelton has worked for the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission as their Government Relations and Communications Manager for over six years, and as part of her duties to foster and encourage aviation and aerospace, she began attending meetings for the Gerrity Chapter. She joined in 2021 and was asked to assist the organization in community outreach.
“I first met Sandra through the Commission’s aviation and aerospace education program, and we became immediate allies with a common goal to empower young people through innovative STEM programs. Her zeal to bring new viewpoints and energy as it relates to our mission to serve active-duty, reserve, and veteran military service members became apparent, so we asked if she would help provide us with greater connectivity in the aviation and aerospace community,” said Gerrity Chapter President, Jeff James.
During the awards ceremony, Maj. Gen. Jeff King and Jeff James led the chapter in presenting awards to the following:
- Airman of the Year - SRA Jared Hornecker | 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB Chapter
- NCO of the Year -TSGT Megan Stockton | 966th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB Chapter
- SNCO of the Year- SMSGT Jennifer Willis | 552nd Maintenance Operations Squadron, Tinker AFB Chapter
- Company Grade Officer of the Year - LT Mason Shaw | 76th Aircraft Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB Chapter
- Civil Service Employee Category I - Mr. Jose Gomez | 552nd Air Control Group, Tinker AFB Chapter
- Civil Service Employee Category II - Mrs. Shelby N. Adkins | 552nd CCMXS, 552 ACW, Tinker AFB Chapter & State
- Military Unit of the Year – 960th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB Chapter
- JROTC Military Unit of the Year - OK 81st Air Force JROTC | Edmond North High School – Chapter and State
- AFJROTC Cadet of the Year - Cadet Major Ema Taylor OK-81ST/Edmond North High School – Chapter and State
- AFROTC Cadet of the Year - Cadet Angelina Fox | Detachment 675, University of Oklahoma – Chapter and State
- The Linda Marie Gebauer Putnam Key Spouse of the Year – Jessica Galloway | 552nd Operations Support Squadron – Chapter and State
- Chapter Teacher of the Year - MAJOR (RET) Eric Weingaetner | Aerospace Science Instructor, OK-81st Air Force JROTC, Edmond North High School – Chapter
- Office of the Year – Nicole Owens, Tinker AFB Chapter
- Member of the Year – Sandra Shelton, Tinker AFB Chapter
- State Chapter of the Year – Gerrity Chapter #215